Fw: Europa-List: The Europa Weight Competition (please do not take serio

Subject: Fw: Europa-List: The Europa Weight Competition (please do not take seriously)
From: Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 23:17:53

Frans

> Although I have earned quite some money with computers, yes, for these
> kind of things I like nice round gauges. Apart from looking more
> appealing than a "computer game"-style instrument panel, I find it also
> more practical. Can replace anything separately, put in what suits me
> best without compromises, and I find it easier to see at a glance what's
> going on if I don't have to interpret streams of numbers. ;-) And last
> but not least, a single black screen won't spoil my trip.

My reasons (almost free order):

1) style
2) traditions
3) readability because of analogue (not necessary to know rpms are 5037 but
little
over 5000)
4) readability because of "what more sun that more visibility"
5) reliability because old and proven technic
6) reliability because they are separated
7) reliability because they work by electric and air
8) when (2006) I made decisions I thought glass is not "ready" and I did not
liked
to be a test rabbit
9) sounds grazy but I wanted to use money (yes - an el. horizon was more than
Dynon
but do not tell to my wife)
10) to have "round gauges" do not prevent to have also glass - I have a little
Dynon in a specific place
11) to have round gauges is also for me a wild choise because of my business w
PC programmed moving signs
12) I wanted to do something against known main waves
13) possibility because there are so few really necessary different information
what you must get in CVFR GA
- that means I had panel space enough and you Frans have stated there is
possibility
to have much much more
14) I do understand what happens inside round gauges
15) round gauges are "forever" / easily changeable /serviceable - glass
companies
can easily fly tomorrow to the sky and what then?
16) to write this kind of lists

> > - you like also military style stick grips
>
> Well, these things have actually too much of a "plastic" impression to
> my taste, but I find it convenient to have the autopilot-disengage,
> trim, flaps, prop-mode and PTT all within reach, and save my other hand
> for the panel, throttle and brakes (or foods or drinks ;-) ).
:
Frans: when there is nothing anymore to improve our Europas - lets plan to make
aluminium custom made experimental stick grips - like in Hornet F18s but much
lighter

> > - you think all the serious machines must have some switches in the ceiling
panel

> ;-) ;-) Actually I have a good excuse for this: these switches control
> the strobes, position lights, and a few other things which control
> things that are in the back of the airplane or the ceiling itself. It
> saves wires. ;-)

My 5 switches are all illegal: two of them have a specific purpose (which is
illegal
but fun).
Two of them have (very illegal - so illegal that I cannot publish so far) plans
for future winters.
Just one is so far extra. But I promise some day it also will be strightly
illegal.

> > Attaches my panel pics "2007" and latter "2009" w some extras like Trio and
Airmaster.

> I see a lot of similarities. Somewhat the same colors, a Trio, etc. I
> like your rudder pedals, tried something like that myself but miserably
> failed to find a good geometry.

Frans: a little tip for you. Do paint your pedals to black.
So they disappear nicely.
Please find and look LAA issue # June - so you will find out what I mean.

> > And first competition apply is here:
> >
> > OH-XRT 412 kg 906 lbs.
>
> Not too bad. I'm sure I will exceed this. What engine do you have? I put
> in a 914 with intercooler and dual alternators, that by itself is a
> strong argument in the weight competition. ;-)

You will, easily. But I have still "a silver medal".
My enlightened guess is your weight will be +420 kg /924 lbs - lets see.
I have 912S with many extras like water heated carburrettors and so.

My main sin was a painting for ever - I spent over 20 liters to paint she + all
those UV-lacquers layers.
Also - leather interior could easily be many kilos lighter - it took three
fullgrown
hartebeestskin to complete it.

Raimo OH-XRT

Email Forum -