RE: Europa-List: Re: tank size

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: tank size
From: Peter Jeffers <pjeffers@talktalk.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 10:07:25

Hi,
I think many of us have seen this issue of fuel venting on warm to hot days
due to air/fuel vapour expansion.
The cure (and it works fine) is to route the vent pipe from the tank, to the
filler neck instead of the roof vent tube.  Thus as fuel tries to vent
overboard, as in the past, it now vents back into the tank.  Saves the mess
on the paintwork and also saves precious fuel!!!
You will however still need to vent the tank, so a further connection into
the filler neck now needs to be connected to the roof vent tube.
A further refinement used by some is to move the roof vent tube to the
bottom of the fuselage instead of the top.  This later part of the mod
ensures that if for any reason the aircraft ends up inverted, fuel does not
run freely from the vent tube as it would if it remained on top of the
fuselage.
I think you will find this fix simple and very effective.

Pete Jeffers