Re: Europa-List: Turbo problems???

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Turbo problems???
From: ofamerica.com YERLY <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 11:42:49
Rich,
I'm sure you've made sure your gas and filters are clean and fresh.
Look at the fuel pressure to check the regulator is correct.
I just took a 914 down to Lockwood.  The engine would only come to 34
inches of MP but ran perfectly smooth.    Trouble shot the sensors,
electrics and computer, all was fine.  Dean had me check for the rubber
seals from the airbox to the carbs as that screws up the works.  No air
leaks or cracks.  On final inspection, it seems the carb diaphram and
piston were hanging up on one carb.  I always believed that would result
in a rough running engine.  Go figure.  Kerry rebuilt both and all was
well.  In the last 5 years I'm sure you put in the gasket kit in your
carbs.  Please check them.  The dual manometers work well in
troubleshooting the carbs, but this malfunction hardly showed up.  Three
weeks of on and off shop time out of my life and 200 miles of trucking
this thing.

As for the Turbo.  If the waste gate sticks closed you would see it in
low MP.  If stuck open you will see an overboost (not good).  If the
waste gate does not work smoothly, that can cause a surge in the  engine
as you go to full turbo.  Picture the servo pulling the cable to adjust
the targeted boost pressure commanded by the computer and throttle
position. In the process the computer command goes to the preset servo
movement and on a hot day, overshoots a little and it begins releasing
pressure, then the arm sticks, the servo tries to loosen the cable more
and then vibration loosens the arm causing a drop in pressure, the servo
corrects again and results in a surge.  Then the servo really starts
hunting.  Hitting the reset switch works to stabilize it if it is a
minor sticking problem above the 100% throttle position normally.
Surging at 60% indicates the tubo arm may be sticking as it starts out
commanding 100% (cable extended) then slowly reduces the servo position
to about 40% (1/4 throttle or so) then up to 88% at full turbo with the
engine off. look to see that the cable moves smoothly and the waste gate
is not hanging up.

Otherwise, I am out of ideas.

Bud
Custom Flight Creations