Re: Europa-List: Tri-gear wheel fairing

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Tri-gear wheel fairing
From: ALAN YERLY <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 10:21:51
Frans,
Most of the time in a situation like yours, I add glass to the front
cover gap, tape it in place on the rear pant where it looks good and
fits without flexing (with release tape of course) and allow to cure to
fill the gaps.  Then sand and fill.

Having made my own entire speed kit, I disagree with your point on being
a bargain.  Although the nose gear pant is wonky, the gear leg covers
are finiky, try making them from scratch or even buying from a third
party.  It takes me a half day per 5 day week to mold my pants, and wing
covers.  Gear legs and covers take another two days.  Yes they are very
nice, but then I have to make the metal parts, get the fasteners and
hardware together etc.  It still takes 40 hours to do a nice job of
alignment, fillets and transitions that allow full gear leg movement
without cracking.  I have about 60 hours into my set and I will not make
another.  I'll buy them.  The mods to make them fit nicely is far
easier.  Try doing an RV speed kit sometime....Talk about frustrating.

It is always about life being too short and time is money isn't it.

Bud