Re: Europa-List: Trike nose wheel castor spindle and yoke failure. Europ

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Trike nose wheel castor spindle and yoke failure. Europa
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 17:38:36
Flyer Mag.

G-IANI wrote:

> 2) If there a better man/woman out there, who can come up with an improved
> design for the nose wheel, I am sure we will be pleased to hear from them.
> What we want is proper trailing link springing, controllable anti shimmy
> damping, no weight increase etc.

If we are referring to the bending spindle problem only, I believe this
is easy to solve.

Aircraft Spruce offers a few tubes with the same diameter and material
as the original spindle, with various wall thicknesses.

Have a look at:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/mepages/4130tubing_un1.php

Most likely you can insert a matching tube inside the original spindle
to make it stronger.

The inner tube can be fixed inside the original spindle by the roll pin,
but of course some redux between the two tubes would make it even stronger.

You can go further than that: As I was looking for a way to increase the
length of the nose wheel assembly, to accomodate for a larger prop, I
got the idea from Karl Heindle to increase the length of the spindle and
to insert a nylon block between the friction disk and wheel fork. Alas,
ACS has no tubes with a wall thickness similar to the original spindle,
but there are tubes with sizes that allow them to fit into each other,
and by doing so, you can create any wall thickness you want. It is easy
to make a spindle that is stronger than the original spindle, and also
larger if that is what you want.

Karl is flying from his rough gras strip for years now with a 2" larger
nose wheel spindle. I'm working on the same modification. If anyone is
interested, I have quite some left of the nylon rod that fills up the
gap between the wheel fork and friction disk.

--
Frans Veldman