Re: Europa-List: Monowheel outrigger double downlock spring mod

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Monowheel outrigger double downlock spring mod
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 22:21:00

glenn crowder wrote:
> No recent upgrades to my engine although my engine guy really wants
> to do a complete
>
> roller cam with roller lifters.  He says this will add 15 hp and not
> create any more heat
>
> since what we're actually doing is eliminating friction.  The rollers
> allow him to modify the cam profile a bit to take advantage.

If you modify the cam profile, you are not just eliminating friction.
You take advantage of the lessened friction to introduce a more
aggresive cam profile, so the engine can digest more air and fuel. This
addition of more air and fuel will certainly cause more heat. If you
burn something, heat will develop. Burn more, and you will get more
heat. ;-)
Think about this way: If the roller lifters save 15 hp, this means that
the old lifters would somehow "consume" 15 hp. 15 hp is a tremendous
amount of heat, the lifters would have melted if they were consuming
these 15 hp's... So, this was obviously not the case, so these 15 hp's
are coming from something else. ;-)

--
Frans Veldman