Re: Europa-List: 3 phase 115V AC 400Hz light weight power supply

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 3 phase 115V AC 400Hz light weight power supply
From: rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 15:11:15

Hi Frans

Sounds like great fun making a cheap 400MHz attitude indicator work on
Europa power.

Just a word of caution, might be worth it to have
instrument gone over and rebuilt.

I owned a 1948 Cessna 170
with a venturi driven gyro that worked OK as long as you had flying speed
for 19 years. There was only one time I needed that instrument, taking off
---From Lebnon NH at night with a high overcast. It was the blackest night I
ever flew in. At 200 feet my gyro said I was about to turn upside down. I
knew my aeroplane, it was trimmed and let go of the controls. It was about
35 F and the bearings in the gyro descided to slightlybind up at
that precise moment.

I took it apart and adjusted and burnished
the bearings with limited sucess. It needed new bushngs and shaft and tip
bearings.

If your unit has gyro bushings/bearings anything like
mine did, replace them all or have them refinished. It wasn't all that
expensive considering.

Ron Parigoris