RE: Europa-List: Flap position, Flight testing

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Flap position, Flight testing
From: Mike Parkin <mikenjulie.parkin@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 06:46:09
Kevin,

Your symptoms seem to contradict your analysis, or maybe I am completely out
to lunch.  If the left flap were lower, then the left wing would produce
more lift  - manifesting itself in a right turn.  On my monowheel,  there is
a slight tendency to roll left when flown solo.  With 2 up, the roll
disappears.  You need to check the flap position using the profile jig that
was originally used to set the flap position.  Is the wash out correct on
both ailerons and flaps.  Does the aircraft drop a left wing at the stall?

G-JULZ had a nasty wing drop at the stall which was cured by a slight
adjustment of the ailerons.  The ailerons on my classic wings have a very
slight difference in neutral between sat on the ground and loaded in flight.
Also, I guess you are using the slip ball to trim out in flight, is the slip
ball horizontal set correctly,  I fitted a small trim tab to the rudder to
make the aircraft 'straighten up and fly right' as the song goes.  Could it
be a rudder trim problem?

Regards,

Mike