RE: Europa-List: tank support layups

Subject: RE: Europa-List: tank support layups
From: Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 17:41:12

>I would suggest (if you haven't already) making sure to soak the tank with
>fuel for awhile, before fitting and glassing it, since it will expand
>slightly

Greg - I thought the gassing process was supposed to prevent this.
Certainly the new tank I have has been subject to that process.

In my conversation with Roger at the factory yesterday about several
aspects of tank mounting he was careful to mention that one
side-effect of the treatment is to make the epoxy more likely to
stick to the tank. He recommended a layer of polyethylene or similar
film between tank and layup to allow relative movement. However, he
didn't suggest soaking the tank with fuel beforehand.

Looks like another call to check could be worthwhile.

Thanks for all your tips about where interference between tank and
other structures might arise.

>I am sorry about your loss

Thanks for your kind words. It's a big change being without someone
who's shared your life for 40 years, and even worse (for the
survivor) when it comes rather suddenly. The period of adjustment
appears open-ended at present. As well as getting back to aeroplane
work, I am thinking about how Wilma's paintings might be published,
as inspiration to others who might be on the same spiritual journey.

regards

Rowland