Re: Europa-List: Wing close-out panel

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Wing close-out panel
From: Graham Singleton <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 23:49:55

William McClellan wrote:

> Lance,
> Jeff Roberts suggestion works well but some words of warning for the whole
> close
out process.  First if you have any very deep gaps to fill up and you weight
the panel too much local to that place, the panel may depress more than you
might want requiring surface filling later.  Though a slightly low area is
better
than a high area after close out.  Use some method of adequately distributing
the weights.  I used some 1 1/2 steel box tubing and containers of water
as I did not have as much lead as shown in the manual picture.  Secondly, if you
make the redux/flox mixture too thick (as I did) the redux can have some
difficulty
squeezing enough out of a gap making a high area, which again is worse
than a low area.  A wider the area to be glued down, such as the top of the
box over the aileron balance arms, are where my "too thick" redux was not able
to squeeze out causing a high spot.  Once glued, you can't easily correct these
results, so review your process well before actual !
>  gluing.
> Good Luck
> Bill McClellan
> A-164
Lance
this is how I would do it.
1 Mark where the ribs are on the skin, wax for release then lay up 2
plies of BID in 2" wide strips. Peel ply.

2. Mix up some very stiff micro and put  strips of it on the ribs high
enough to bond the capping strips.

3. After cure tidy up the micro and add 2 ply BID corner lay ups with
peel ply.

4. tidy up then bond on the skin with Redux.

regards
Graham