Europa-List: Re: Exhaust lagging

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Exhaust lagging
From: John & Paddy Wigney <johnwigney@windstream.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 09:51:24

Dear Europaphiles,

I agree with Gilles and Ira regarding the effectiveness of putting a
simple reflector barrier between the hot exhaust system and sensitive
areas such as oil hoses, fuel lines and carburettors. The oil return
hose from the centre of the sump is particularly vulnerable. Some years
ago, a Europa pilot in Florida had this rubber oil hose fracture in
flight because it had been embrittled by heat. He got it down OK but
there was oil everywhere.

When one stops the engine, there is a lot of radiant and convection heat
soak from the muffler into the parts above, particularly the rubber oil
return hose in the centre of the sump. I used some of the polished light
gauge stainless sheet which was supplied for the firewall (I used Graham
Singleton's phenolic firewall) to make a heat shield plate immediately
above the muffler. It is secured at the front with small brackets to 2
existing tapped holes in the engine and at the rear with 2 'p' clips to
the engine mounting frame. I put 2 diagonal creases in the shield to
prevent 'oil canning'. It works well.

Cheers, John
N262WF, mono XS, 912S
Mooresville, North Carolina