Re: Europa-List: Re: A/C paint other than white

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: A/C paint other than white
From: Paul McAllister <paul.the.aviator@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 15:51:04

Hi Ira,

I was wondering if your 14k estimate was based on the engines ceiling
or Vx=Vy.  I can offer a couple of data points.  I typically fly long
cross county flights at 12k to 16k, depending on winds and what ATC
makes me do.  I have taken it to 18k once, but I didn't go higher
because I don't have an intercooler or temperature monitoring on the
carburetor inlets.  I will be doing this as one of my many winter
projects.

I can share some anecdotal information which I haven't confirmed.  I
did hear that Jimmy Thursby took the demonstrator up to 23k, and there
was a guy out in California (can't remember his name, Dennis ??) that
claimed to cruise in the low 20's.  From memory both of  these
aircraft have Whirlwind propellers on them which have significantly
better airfoils than the Warp drive blades.

>From a practical point, I find my aircraft doesn't go much faster
after 12k, due to the Warp drive propeller, and after about 14k, I
start using oxygen at faster rate, so unless "wind gods" entice me
higher I don't go there!

Cheers,  Paul

> In my test flying with a 912s, at 11000 DA, I was still climbing at > 400 fpm,
and I did not push further. Based on the rate of climb decay, I'll