Re: Europa-List: Comm Antenna installation

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Comm Antenna installation
From: ivor.phillips@ntlworld.com
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 16:42:15

Hi Bill
I have the normal Europa copper tape Di-pole on the stern post and a Bob Archer
Just behind the D panel Port side, To be Honest the Copper tape antenna works
much better, Have read ATIS at over 70NM with a Xcom and about 50NM with the
Garmin SL30 using the Bob Archers,
regards
Ivor
---- William McClellan <wilwood@earthlink.net> wrote:

> The amount of archived data on antennas is overwhelming and some of it more
> technical
than I can follow.  The volume of this data possibly suggests the amount
of not easily solved problems with antennas.  I thought I had come to an
installation
solution that would bypass most if not all the potential problems
until I read that some are having trim servo interference problems with the comm
antenna.  I had intended to install the Archer "v" configuration antenna in
the fin and a second "s" configuration comm antenna on the fuse side rear of
the baggage compartment.  The Archer information says inside the fin is the
ideal
place for a glass plane considering it needs to be placed in a vertical plane.
My transponder antenna is to be on the rear fuse bottom side, reasonably
far away from the cockpit.

> Has anyone installed an Archer comm antenna in the fin without having to
> shield
the trim servo and its wiring?  I intend to follow Archer's instructions using
proper shielded cable and also staying as far as possible from other vertical
metal objects and mindful of establishing adequate grounding for each component.

> As I am trying to bypass the complexities of antenna installation and theory,
any input/help would be appreciated.