Re: Europa-List: mono-bungees

Subject: Re: Europa-List: mono-bungees
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 07:29:50

On Jan 21, 2009, at 4:38 AM, Peter Zutrauen wrote:

> Couldn't one use the old bungee to pull the new bungee around? (ie -
> tie the new bungee to the old bungee, then cut the old one and pull
> the new one through)

Reasonable question Peter...

I raised this topic after installing the bungees as part of my
(original) build...I found myself four square in front of the LG
frame, flexing my muscles, and trying to imagine how on earth this
could be done w/ an engine in place...Eric explains how he's done
that, and I'm buying him a drink at SnF if we both make it there.

My concern stemmed from my efforts to adjust the final tension,
hopefully to achieve that smooth, easy, one-finger motion during
retraction which other posts have indicated is both possible and
desireable.

When I initially snugged the bungee, getting the 6 loops + the "start"
loop and the "finish" loop as per the diagram in the manual, I found
that I used just about the entire length of bungee. As I progressively
tightened the bungee, I found that I've ended up with about 6 feet of
extra cord, and have yet to achieve the "one-finger" retraction...and
man, those bungees are REALLY tight! Or at least they seem so.

With no other experience, how does this compare w/ that of
others?...jus curious.

Fred
A194

--