Re: Europa-List: Has anyone mounted their battery aft of baggage

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Has anyone mounted their battery aft of baggage
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 00:48:46
         bulkhead?

rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us wrote:

> I agree it's best to crimp first, but when I crimped after
> soldering, things seemed OK where I stressed wires until they failed, not
> because of crimp or soldering.

This is not a good test. The problem is that solder is soft, and
repeated heating and cooling causes it to slowly give way, making the
connection weaker with every heat cycle. It just *appears* to be strong
in the beginning, but weakens over time. The failure is mainly time
related, not stress related.

Don't solder before you crimp, the connection will eventually fail.
Before it completely fails, it starts to give temperature related
intermittent connections, making troubleshooting very difficult, and it
generates excess heat on the connection where the resistance is high,
enough to start a fire if the current is high enough.

Just don't do it, and if you did already so, fix it before you start
trusting your life to it.

--
Frans