Re: Europa-List: Skymap 111C battery

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Skymap 111C battery
From: Peter Rees <peter.rees01@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 18:37:27
I did one on the Skymap III (the panel mount version) - was a dead easy
job. If its the same battery type (like an AA battery with a wire welded
on each end). Its difficult to get to the underside of the PCB where the
battery is mounted so to save dismantling the unit, this is the
procedure I used (and would again).

1) Note the polarity of the old battery (mark the + on the PCB with an
indelible pen)
2) Cut the old battery out leaving plenty of the wire left in the board.
3) Put your soldering iron on the wire at the point where the wire goes
through the board and the pad on the board.
4) When the solder melts, use small pliers to remove the wire from the
board.
5) Heat the pad again and use a solder sucker to clean out the solder
---From the hole.
6) Repeat for the other wire.
7) Form the wires for the new battery and pass them through the holes in
the PCB. (cut them if necessary).
8) Solder the new battery in from the top of the board (the solder will
run through the plating between the top and bottom of the board.

New battery should be available from Maplin - if not, I got mine from
Farnell - they're mainly trade but the do sell online to the public.

If you fancy a flight to Rochester, I'd be happy to do the mod for you
if you're not happy about soldering inside the unit.

Peter