Re: Europa-List: Antenna routing without effecting pitch trim i

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Antenna routing without effecting pitch trim i
From: jimpuglise@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 01:25:15

Rudder Post, Tail Post, same thing.=C2- As I remember (and it may be inco
rrect) I puchased the antenna kit separately from Europa.=C2- It is reall
y much more simple than you would think.=C2- You can get the 3M copper ta
pe very cheaply, RG-58U is cheap, and that is all you need.=C2- I will us
e the toroids only because they are recommended but I have built probably 5
0 VHF antennas over the years and have never used=C2-a toroid .=C2- You
 can buy them very economically from someone like RST or Palomar electronic
s.=C2- Palomar is at 760-747-3343 and toroids are one of their specialtie
s.=C2- Call them and explain what you are doing and they will send what y
ou need.=C2- You don't want to install the antennas (excep transponder) b
efore you have the top on.=C2- Vertical dipoles are the simplest, cheapes
t, and most efficient way to go.=C2- You can't install the one in the rud
der post until you have the top on and the post trial fitted.=C2- In my c
ase, on Bob Berube's recommendation, I installed the transponder antenna (a
 vertical dipole) well aft on a piece of balsa wood floxed to the lower hal
f of the canoe prior to putting the top on.=C2- You should install all of
 the coax for the antenna and wire for the trim motor before the top goes o
n.=C2- We used some little 1 inch square plastic fasterner, my wife think
s we got them at Radio Shack.=C2- They have self-adhesive on the bottom,
which you remove, and then scuff sand and flox them to th fuselage floor.
=C2- You can pass a tie wrap through them, which you use to secure the ca
ble or wiring.=C2- BY ALL MEANS have the wires and coax in before you put
 the top on, but the antennas, with the exception of the transponder, shoul
d wait until the top is on.=C2- You want to have as much as you can done,
 because everything can influence SWR.=C2- The advice you got on cutting
them is dead on.=C2- You want them a little long.=C2- Go ahead and epox
y them in; even the epoxy can have some effect, but leave at least 6 inches
 free on each end.=C2- THEN it is time to tune them by snipping off a lit
tle at time .=C2-

Your best bet is to talk to someone who is an experienced amateur.=C2- Th
e aircraft band is relatively close to the 2 meter amateur band, so anyone
who is on top of 2 meter amateur antennas should be able to help you.=C2-

Jim=C2-Puglise =C2-- A-283