Europa-List: Oil tank venting

Subject: Europa-List: Oil tank venting
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 13:47:09

When we originally installed our oil tank (5 years ago) the vent line was
 routed to the side of the cowling. The end result is that there is a smell
 of oil coming in from the NACA vent when the aircraft is climbing. I suspect
 the location of the outlet pipe is also in the airstream resulting in an
 excessive loss of oil as it is getting sucked out (and coating the side of
 the fuselage).

I was under the impression was that the solution would be to route the vent
 pipe via a collector bottle but reading the manual Europa recommend just
 routing it to the bottom of the cowling (the bottle being optional).

My concern over the bottle arrangement is how long it takes to fill up the
 overflow bottle with oil and how frequently one would need to remove the
 cowling (to empty the bottle).

So, based on communal experience which is likely to be the best arrangement -
 routing via the bottle or omitting the bottle and ensuring the outlet isnt
 placed in the airflow where it could be sucked out.

One thought was to terminate the line at the exit of the exhaust stub (using
 copper tube)  which would hopefully vaporise and burn off any oil that
 escaped. The arrangement would need to ensure no suction took place -
 perhaps terminating using a T piece.

Suggestions please ?

Carl Pattinson
G-LABS