Re: Europa-List: Boiling fuel due to underpressure?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Boiling fuel due to underpressure?
From: Graham Singleton <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 00:05:58

Frans Veldman wrote:

> I think you are right, I recommend the Andair GAS 375, stops water and
> anything bigger than 70micron
> Graham[/quote:4e544db179]
>
> I'm using an Andair GAS 375 for the main fuel pump. For the backup pump I will
use a simple filter (at the moment the supplied glass filter). The Andair filter
has noticably less fuel boiling problems than the smaller glass filter, so
it seems it can handle the flow better, and causes less underpressure and hence
less boiling.

> BTW, the filter for the secondary fuel pump will be hardly used: when both
> pumps
are running then all the fuel will still go through the Andair filter. The
glass filter only sees fuel when the main pump stops, or when the Andair is
clogged.
This is the reason I think to have two Andairs is a bit overkill.

> Frans

the Andair is designed so that any entrained air is bled out of the
filter, the awful glass thing doesn't, so it sits there threatening you
and masking any fine contamination..
I recommend pumping the fuel into a can through a clear tube from just
before the carbs and looking for bubbles. If there are any it implies
air being sucked in through minor leaks upstream of the pump. Certainly
when everything is cold during testing. Test at low fuel level is more
searching.
Graham