RE: Europa-List: Mod 72 - Undercarriage mounting frame strengthening

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Mod 72 - Undercarriage mounting frame strengthening
From: Rob Housman <rob@hyperionef.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 09:13:08

Erich, Graham, and Richard:

Removal, with the insert now more than halfway in would likely be a real
chore, so for now at least I'll continue on with the brute force approach.

I have considered rigging a press and still may do so. However, based on my
experience with Mod 73 where I used a similar scheme to extract my dummy
torque tube after a small amount of epoxy managed to get where it should not
be, and that threaded rod's 1/4-20 NSC threads were severely damaged, I fear
that the force needed would be greater than the strength of the largest
threaded rod that would fit through the ID of the insert.

I think the sash clamp would have a better chance of success since the
threaded portion (with high strength Acme thread) would be in compression
not tension as for the scheme noted above, but I'll defer that pending
further hammering.

With about 1.3 inch remaining to hammer in, and modest application of heat
to the landing gear frame helping, I have made sufficient progress to keep
pounding onward, so to speak.  Progress is slow using heat because heat
works only when there is a temperature differential and the insert soon
reaches the same temperature as the frame thus requiring a waiting period
while both get back to ambient temperature.  Heat, hammer, cuss, wait.
Repeat as required.

I hope that this discussion will help others that have yet to tackle Mod 72,
though with almost two years having elapsed since the Mod was announced I am
probably the last to have this much fun.

Best regards,

Rob Housman

Irvine, CA

Europa XS Tri-Gear