Re: Europa-List: Jos Okhuisen

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Jos Okhuisen
From: Duncan & Ami McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 23:19:02

A number of subjects there.
Firstly the non-return valve. Actually, the PFA questioned why I had NOT got
one fitted in the case of the fuel injection system that I had fitted
previously (which circulated fuel back to the tank at a similar rate to the
914 system).
As a poor-man's alternative, I now have the 912 return-line restrictor
located just behind the firewall (because there is a joint in the return
line there and because it creates more unrestricted vapour headspace in the
top of the return line); so, if the return line is severed at a point
forward of the firewall, the restrictor provides at least some restriction
to backflow from the tank; LAA know about this and approved the
installation.

About fire suppression systems: a suggestion to the PFA some years ago to
include a port in the instrument panel and connected to a pipe leading to
the undercowl space (with suitable check valve) in to which a handheld fire
extinguisher could be discharged, met with a positive response. Albeit for
some reason unknown to me, such fire systems have been outlawed on rally
cars.

Regarding the RV that flipped on to its back at Fishburn recently, the pilot
commented that he would have preferred to have had a small 2lb axe to have
been able to get out. It was the rescuers that enabled exit through the
broken canopy. He considered that the small "lifesaver" hammers were a
complete waste of time.

Duncan McF.