Europa-List: Fuel pipes

Subject: Europa-List: Fuel pipes
From: Frank Mycroft <frankm@clara.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 18:54:05
G-BWYD has fuel pipes which are rubber with a cotton and then a
stainless braid covering.  They look great, as though they would last
for ever - but they don't!  One of mine sprung a leak after I moved it a
bit and when I removed the stainless and then the cotton braids I found
that it was perished and split circumferentially in the place where it
was leaking.  The pipes are obviously resistant to outside abrasion, but
you can't see what's happening inside and they plainly have a limited
life, at least inside the engine compartment.  Mine had been in place
for 11 years.

What pipes do people recommend?  Alloy pipes are great if installed
during the build, but not so easy for a retrofit.  I have Aeroquip 303
---From the tank to the electric pump, but the stuff with the stainless
braid from then on when the chances of outside abrasion are greater.
LAS don't seem to supply the stainless braid stuff.  How do people
protect the Aeroquip pipe where it could suffer from outside abrasion.

Frank