Re: Europa-List: Fuel tank dimensions

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuel tank dimensions
From: Sidsel & Svein Johnsen <sidsel.svein@oslo.online.no>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 08:22:37
Steve,

Thank you very much for measuring the dimensions I asked for, plus some
in addition.  Can you explain where you measured the "inside saddle
back" and "inside saddle front"?

Regarding the square box section extending into the baggage bay just
over the hump in the middle:  I am afraid that this would reduce the
transverse strength of the cockpit module (CM) too much.  Admittedly,
much of the forces from the wings' lift and drag are equalized between
them by the cross bar just aft of the CM, but I will not take any risk
here.

Cutting off the CM top and refitting it (at same level or higher) will
not compromise the aircrafts structural strength.  My plan - if I go
ahead with it - would be to lift the top at least 4 inches (probably
more) to maximize the volume, and make the head rests so that the
shoulder belts will go back from my shoulders at an up angle of 35
degrees (ref. previous discussions the spine compression and European
VLA seat belt rules).

Best regards,
Svein