Re: Europa-List: rudder pulley access holes in cockpit module

Subject: Re: Europa-List: rudder pulley access holes in cockpit module
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 19:39:21

On Monday, Jun 9, 2008, at 15:00 US/Pacific, Rowland Carson wrote:

> The approximately-horizontal flanges on which they appear are
> asymmetrical - wider on the starboard side than the port. The port
> side hole is clearly outlined and also cross-hatched. On the starboard
> side are 2 oval areas about the same size and slightly overlapping.
> The outboard one is cross-hatched and the inboard one is not.
>
> Do I cut out just the hatched one, or just the unhatched one?
>
> My guess would be only the hatched one, as it appears to be in about
> the same relationship to the seat-pan as the port one. The central
> narrow part of the tunnel is veering off to port as it reaches the
> seat-back and that is what makes the starboard flange wider there, and
> I assume the rudder pulleys are located equidistant from the
> centreline or from the outside edge of the fuselage/cockpit module -
> thus the outboard (hatched) outline is the one that's needed.

Rowland,

Though I can no longer see the hairlines indicating the access hole
locations, you are correct in reasoning that the holes want to be in
the same relationship to the seat flanges,  NOT in the same
relationship to the central narrow part of the tunnel which I
mistakenly used when I made my initial cuts. (Easily remedied w/ a
small patch and some 5 min. epoxy.) Take the starboard side as a guide
and duplicate it on the port side and you'll be good to go.

Fred

--
believed to be clean.