Europa-List: rudder pulley access holes in cockpit module

Subject: Europa-List: rudder pulley access holes in cockpit module
From: Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 23:00:08

I'm just starting to highlight the trimming lines on the cockpit
module with a fine felt-tip pen so I can see where to cut.

I'm puzzled by the marks on the starboard side of the centre tunnel,
at the side of the seat area. My printed manual does not identify any
individual holes, but the PDF manual from the factory website marks
it and the corresponding one on port as "rudder pulley access holes".
The approximately-horizontal flanges on which they appear are
asymmetrical - wider on the starboard side than the port. The port
side hole is clearly outlined and also cross-hatched. On the
starboard side are 2 oval areas about the same size and slightly
overlapping. The outboard one is cross-hatched and the inboard one is
not.

Do I cut out just the hatched one, or just the unhatched one?

My guess would be only the hatched one, as it appears to be in about
the same relationship to the seat-pan as the port one. The central
narrow part of the tunnel is veering off to port as it reaches the
seat-back and that is what makes the starboard flange wider there,
and I assume the rudder pulleys are located equidistant from the
centreline or from the outside edge of the fuselage/cockpit module -
thus the outboard (hatched) outline is the one that's needed. Perhaps
the inboard position was marked in error and both correct ones have
been hatched to better identify them.

Roger at the factory says he thinks it should be the hatched one, but
does anyone know any better before I start cutting?

regards

Rowland