Europa-List: Re : Refueling (Rotax)

Subject: Europa-List: Re : Refueling (Rotax)
From: John & Paddy Wigney <johnwigney@alltel.net>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 10:52:31

Hi Raimo,

I am sorry to hear that your 912S is unhappy with 100LL. This is a bit
surprising for me as I have always used 100LL from Day 1 with no
problems. First flight was in Dec. 2001 and I now have 590 hours. Only
engine issue in that time has been a broken wire on an ignition system
connector which caused a problem on one magneto.

However, I have always used a fuel additive to prevent lead build up. I
first used TCP http://www.alcorinc.com/fuel-treatment/product-07-07.php
and now use Decalin http://www.decalinchemicals.com/fueladditive.html
additive. I see that TCP has problems with shipping now since the
solvent they use is toxic. TCP and Decalin have the same active
component, Tri Cresyl Phosphate, but Decalin has a benign solvent so it
can be carried in a plane. Decalin can be bought from Aircraft Spruce
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/Decalin.php . I add 15 ml
of Decalin per 10 US gallons of fuel.

This routine seems to work well. I check the plugs at 50 hours and
change them at 100 hours as per Rotax recommendation; they are always in
good condition with no build up of lead. I also use Valvoline Durablend
10W-40 semi-synthetic oil (approved by Rotax). This oil picks up lead in
suspension and I get no deposit of lead sludge in the oil tank.

I also had problems with fuel coming from the breather vent during
filling. I fixed this by installing a larger diameter vent tube which
tees into the filler neck. The larger vent tube permits full flow
filling without backup. A small diameter tube goes from the filler neck
to the original fuselage top vent.

Hope the weather is warming up nicely for you.

Cheers, John
N262WF, mono XS, 912S
Mooresville, North Carolina