Europa-List: flap seals

Subject: Europa-List: flap seals
From: Peter Timm <cptimm@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 19:01:32

Graham,

the flaps are only sealed in the up position, by the leading edge of the
flaps pressing against the seal attached to the inside of
the channel.  Sealing the flaps in the down position would defeat the
benefit of slotted flaps with their own lift producing
air-foil,in my opinion. The old L 13 Blanik sailplanes used to have such
flap-seals, which would then deteriorate over time.
However, there are now all kinds of such seals available, including those
stocked by camper-trailer and marine suppliers
and installation is particularly easy on the Europa. Try it, you'll like it!

Peter Timm, # 110