Europa-List: MONO-WHEEL GEAR RETRACTION

Subject: Europa-List: MONO-WHEEL GEAR RETRACTION
From: ROBERT LINDSAY <RLINDSA2@san.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 22:53:39
Last month I wrote that I had landing gear retraction problems in an XS abo
ut 7 years old and 400 hrs flight time.  Several of you made useful suggest
ions--mostly to tighten or replace the bungee.  Thank you for your respones.

On repair, this is what I found.

I placed the aircraft up on jacks and removed the main wheel to make room t
o work on the bungee.  Before I started on the bungee I tried retraction to
 see if I could do it without the 25 lbs of wheel and brake.  I could not--
even with someone else pushing on the swing arm.  Closer examination reveal
ed a wet looking hydraulic damper on the right side.  But even more interes
ting was just a little bit of the polyurethane shock block squeezed out on
the right side--and it was evident that it was rubbing on the swing arm as
it neared full retraction.  I removed and replaced both dampers and the sho
ck block.  The wet looking damper had little resistance.  I also replaced t
he EUR 026 bolt that goes through the top of the dampers because it was sli
ghtly bent also on the right side.  Before I replaced the shock block/dampe
r assembly I tightened the bungees which wasn't too difficult working alone
 with adequate space and a little wedge to hold the bungee as I worked alon
g the loops.  (Thanks Kim Prout!)

Also while I was there I removed the Matco parking brake because it had not
 been holding.  At first I was just going to change to the spare channel on
 the Matco but the replacement of O-rings is easy and cheap (Matcomfg.com).

Everything reassembled, I was ready for the big test.  Surprise.  The outri
ggers did not fully retract.  I removed the speed fairings and found that b
oth push rods (OR5) were very badly bent and jamming on the outboard W21 si
de plates.  Furthermore, the slots in the push rods were badly gouged in on
e spot as if the  full length of the slot was not being used.  I replaced t
he push rods, lublicated appropriately and tried retraction once more.  Wor
ked better than ever--just as advertised.

One advantage of having operational problems is that after overcoming them,
 one can be more astute in pre-flight inspections.

Bob Lindsay A 077
Gillespie Field, KSEE
San Diego CA