Re: Europa-List: The trials of fitting

Subject: Re: Europa-List: The trials of fitting
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 12:16:14

On Saturday, Mar 15, 2008, at 09:00 US/Pacific, ALAN YERLY wrote:

> Trials of fitting, in a word is craftsmanship.
>
> Unless you have built cabinets with curved doors for a living, fitting
> the Europa doorsor anany aircraftcanopy is not an intuitive task.

Yerlysan...you are indeed a master and I such a novice...this is said
with total respect.

It's reassuring to know that a pro plans for 40 hours/door set, I think
I've been hard at it for about 3 weeks, just this morning succeeding in
locking the shoot bolts within the fuselage after being satisfied w/
the hinge operation. I wish I had had the benefit of your process
before beginning rather than accepting the build manual as gospel
(until I hit some dead ends).

Thank you for your comments on gapping, as how to properly allow for
filler and paint has been something I've been scratching my head about;
the goal being to have all gaps looking good AND functional after
getting them back from the painter. I've been really surprised to find
significant variations in the thickness of the filler/primer on the
fuselage top in the vicinity of the tang recesses as delivered.

I have one suggestion which may be helpful to others regarding the
location of the hinges and their alignment. I happened to have a 6'
length of 3/32" precision ground SS rod (from McMaster-Carr) which I
temporarily substituted for the hinge pins while locating the hinge
leaves on the tang. Used in conjunction w/ a straightedge, it really
simplified alignment.

Fred
A194

--