Re: Europa-List: De-greaser

Subject: Re: Europa-List: De-greaser
From: ALAN YERLY <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 15:03:02
Phil,
Like painting, fiber-glassing is all about the prep.

If you wash the entire kit in an automotive water soluble
cleaner/degreaser or suitable detergent with a scotch brite pad and
rinse thoroughly, it should be clean.  Like others though, I still clean
all my joints in acetone, using a scotch brite pad as cleanliness is
next to Godliness.

Test your prep by sanding with 40-80 grit, and if you get lots of dust,
you're ready to go.

The bagging of the parts during molding leaves little ridges.  I
personally try to sand off the ridges to get to smooth epoxy, but not in
the glass fibers underneath.  The skins and parts really fit well that
way.  I hate to see the number of guys who just scuff and go, as that is
a really bad technique.

Please prep properly and it goes together like a model plane.

Bud Yerly,
Custom Flight Creations