Re: Europa-List: Re: Fuel System - What should I add?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Fuel System - What should I add?
From: Paul McAllister <paul.the.aviator@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 21:04:45

Hi all,

My aircraft has been flying for 3 years, 700 hours and so far the fuel
system I have installed is working well.  Here is what I did.

1. Discarded the dual Europa filters
2. Installed a single gascolator
3. Installed the fuel totalizer system for my EIS
4. My fuel gauge system weighs the fuel in the tank and displays it on
a 10 bar LED segment.  It works perfectly, and gets around all of the
sight gauge / capacitance probe issues.
5. I used fuel injection hose instead of standard automotive rubber hose
6. I installed an aluminum elbow into the fuel tank.
7. I have the water drains and gascolator accessible via a single
hatch under the aircraft.

Take a look at  http://www.europa.net.nz/363/index.html under Jan 2001
for a few photos.

What would I do different ?
1. Use an Andiar fuel selector.
2. Use two gascolators, one for each side of the tank
3. Use very thin Nyloflow hose for the fuel/water drain feeds.
4. Install aluminum fuel lines, which is quite an undertaking.

Ron Parigoris has posted a bunch of photos on the
http://www.europaowners.org site.  Knowing what I know now I would
probably do something similar.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Paul