Re: Europa-List: Mono-wheel gear retraction

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mono-wheel gear retraction
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 09:52:59
It could be something as simple as lubrication. We had a similar problem
(our A/C has been flying about 5yrs).

We raised the plane on a hoist (suspended from engine mounts) and
removed wheel and removed/ cleaned rubber block and shock absorbers. We
found there was considerable stiffness in the bearings on the landing
frame. These were freed by lubricating with teflon spray/ light oil and
the U/C cycled a couple of dozen times to work the lube in. We also
replaced the rubber block.

The gate through which the operating lever protrudes also needs a light
greasing (eg: vaseline).

This has pretty much cured the problem so there is currently no need to
tighten up the bungee cord. If this does become necessary it might be
easier just to add a couple of lengths of luggage cord using the hook
ends to attach to the landing frame and bar on the swinging arm. This
could be accessed from the underside.

Replacing the original cord is almost certainly an engine removal (and
firewall)  job.

Hope this helps resolve your problem.

Carl Pattinson

G-LABS.