RE: Europa-List: Don Dykins book

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Don Dykins book
From: Mike Gregory <m.j.gregory@talk21.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 11:31:55
Hello Remi,

Yes, the airspeed axis on page 15 Figure 1 is labelled "VEASKTS", standing
for Equivalent Airspeed in knots, which is a more technically precise term
than Indicated Airspeed for aerodynamicist's calculations.  For practical
purposes, they may be treated as equal for the flight envelope of the
Europa.

The reason why you need more horsepower at altitude for a given IAS is that,
for a given efficiency, the engine is providing thrust to equal the same
drag (which is dependent on IAS) but the True Airspeed is greater, so the
actual distance moved in a given time is greater.  Work = Force x Distance;
Power = Work/time.  The engine is therefore having to do more work in a
given time at the same IAS at altitude, but this is more than offset by the
gain in TAS, so cruising at a given TAS requires less horsepower at
altitude.

I do not believe Don Dykins is wrong, and I do not agree that it is nonsense
to talk about performance in terms of indicated airspeed.  As I understand
it, he is showing his calculations of aerodynamic performance and comparing
them with the results of flight tests, where IAS is measured.

It would be interesting to know how the latest VP propellers compare in
efficiency with his working assumption of 80%.

Best regards

Mike

  _____