Europa-List: Engine Bay wiring

Subject: Europa-List: Engine Bay wiring
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 13:28:43

Cheers,
        To save complexity (?), I bought 6 x #22 cable to satisfy the number
of sensor needs from the engine to the instrum panel and proceeded to hook
up the requisite items.
        A flash from the ether told me that perhaps the cable would not
survive the heat experienced in various upper reaches of the engine bay -
which, if memory serves (heh,heh) ranges up to about 200deg Fahrenheit I
hope on a long taxying-in.
If any one has corrections to the above I'd appreciate it.
        I then searched the cable and found "60C" which I think means its
max temp parameter, so I put a sample in the toaster-oven and set 100degC.
        Ten minutes later, I vented the kitchen to the -10degC outdoors, set
the oven fan to max and in about 30 minutes had hidden the smoke from my
shortly-returning spouse - and then extricated the tiny black worm from the
pie pan [I intend to replace].
The kitchen was warm before she came in.
        I can find a replacement for the cable which says "90C". Can I use
this for the Europa purpose outlined above? I can't find the FAA criteria
under the usual terms.
        Your good offices in this touchy matter are greatfully accepted.
Happy landings,
Ferg (smoky)