Re: Europa-List: Trouble Shooting Turbo Issue

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Trouble Shooting Turbo Issue
From: kbcarpenter@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 01:51:29
I suggest you look into the end of the turbo and determine if the blades are
spinning
freely. I had a similar problem and it was stuck turbo blades.  The solution
for me was to get a twelve point socket and gently turn the turbo blades
after spraying the area with mouse milk(a turbine bearing lubricant).  It sound
like you are getting some but not all of the turbo.
ken  N 9XS 914 Mono

From: "Paul McAllister" <paul.the.aviator@gmail.com>

> Hi all,
>
> I am looking for some ideas on a problem with my 914T. I had the
> carburettors overhauled by Lockwood aviation and after reassembling it
> I have a new problem.
>
> I can get 34" of boost at 100% throttle setting on take off at 1000'
> msl, but when I climb the maximum boost available decreases with
> altitude. For example I get about 27" at 8,500', and 24" and 12,500.
>
> So far I have checked the following:
>
> - Reseated / checked the TCU cable connections to the air box
> - Checked for leaks / tightness on the carburettors
> - Checked to see if the waste gate cycles properly when the TCU is turned on

> - Calibrated the throttle positions on the TCU with my laptop
>
> I haven't disconnected to cable to the waste gate yet to check if I
> can get full movement on the waste gate because its way too cold to
> work in the hanger.
>
> The next time the weather permits flying I was thinking of connecting
> my laptop to the TCU and see what the parameters are saying. For
> example if the air box temperature sensor is faulty the TCU might
> interpret this as over temp and not allow the waste gate to close.
>
> Anyhow, I would appreciate ideas on this. It may be that the
> carburettor overhaul is unrelated, but I thought I'd mention it
> because it was what had been changed in recent times.
>
> Regards, Paul

<DIV>I suggest you look into the end of the turbo and determine if the blades
are
spinning freely. I had a similar problem and it was stuck turbo blades.&nbsp;
The solution for me was to get a twelve point socket and gently turn the turbo
blades after spraying the area with mouse milk(a turbine bearing
lubricant).&nbsp;
It sound like you are getting some but not all of the turbo.</DIV>
<DIV>ken&nbsp; N 9XS 914 Mono</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px
solid">-------------- Original message -------------- <BR>From: "Paul
McAllister"
&lt;paul.the.aviator@gmail.com&gt; <BR><BR>&gt; --&gt; Europa-List message
posted by: "Paul McAllister" <BR>&gt; <PAUL.THE.AVIATOR@GMAIL.COM><BR>&gt;
<BR>&gt; Hi all, <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I am looking for some ideas on a problem with
my 914T. I had the <BR>&gt; carburettors overhauled by Lockwood aviation and
after reassembling it <BR>&gt; I have a new problem. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I can
get 34" of boost at 100% throttle setting on take off at 1000' <BR>&gt; msl,
but when I climb the maximum boost available decreases with <BR>&gt; altitude.
For example I get about 27" at 8,500', and 24" and 12,500. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;
So far I have checked the following: <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; - Reseated / checked the
TCU cable connections to the air box <BR>&gt; - Checked for leaks / tightness
on the carburettors <BR>&gt; - Checked to see if th
 e wast
 upport
 =====