Re: Europa-List: Singleton Tail Wheel Mod

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Singleton Tail Wheel Mod
From: Graham Singleton <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 01:01:55

Ron & All
sorry I wasn't here earlier. Been away doing a Mod 73 and a PFA (LAA!)
seminar on how to inspect.
I designed the original mod to have the same geometry as the old Classic
steering (to give a useful turning circle on the ground.) Completing a
180 deg turn on the runway at Wombleton e.g.! but set the spring tension
to allow overiding the tailwheel springs with rudder deflection for
crosswind control. IOW the wheel would be in trail even with full rudder
deflection. Many of us have learnt to handle most conditions like this
but it does require instant response to yaw on the ground.
Experience has shown that having better tailwheel authority on the
ground is an advantage so a few people have tried 5 inches between the
cable attach points and found it works better (Jos) and one or two 6
inches, ( Brian Fogg) I think 6" is good but does increase the turning
circle a bit so you couldn't 180 at Wombleton. You'd need to persuade
the owner to widen the runway!
A couple of people (Tony Higgins) have used 6" and moved the attach
points rearwards like the factory configuration. (instead of the Vee I
use) The factory config. gives more authority at the extremes of the
range but has the disadvantage that the springs tend to pull the rudder
to one side or the other. Mine gives even spring tension across the
range of movement.
Graham

--
Graham Singleton