Europa-List: Singleton Tail Wheel Mod

Subject: Europa-List: Singleton Tail Wheel Mod
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 16:48:56

Graham et al,

As I contemplate installation of this mod, I recall having the good
fortune of meeting William Mills at Sun 'n Fun. William gave me a list
of 4 things to do to ensure trouble free XS monowheel operations, one
of which was a recommendation to change the geometry of the Steering
Horn included with Graham's mod. I'm looking for counsel from anyone w/
direct monowheel experience using the Singleton tail wheel mod as well
as from Graham, the designer.

The Singleton steering horn has a distance of 4" between the holes in
the "horns". William recommended to me that I fabricate a new steering
horn which spreads the horns a bit so that the distance between the
horn-holes becomes 6".

William used the term, "spread", because he was clear that the distance
between the centerlines of the horn-holes and the two mounting holes
must remain the same as that of the Singleton steering horn.

I'm not clear as to just what the implications of such a change would
be; however, William was convinced that such a change would enhance
directional control during t/o's and land'gs. So I'm asking whether or
not this is a subject with which others have grappled, and whether or
not a definitive conclusion has been reached.  (?)

All comments would be much appreciated,

Fred
A194

--