Europa-List: Exhaust exit spacing

Subject: Europa-List: Exhaust exit spacing
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 15:46:41

Hello,
        This afternoon's task was to poke a hole through the lower cowling
to permit the extension of the exhaust stack to experience fresh air. I have
done this accurately in spite of being certain that measurement and cutting
was at best a mug's game.  I am erecting a message with photos to explain
this job, as have amazed myself by doing it.  If you found it a simple task
any fool can do, I don't want to hear about it.
        In the process of admiring the stub sticking exactly 1/8" from its
concentric hole, it suddenly occurred to me that it's on a bouncing engine
and the cowl is not.
I don't want to hear about that, either.
        Nonetheless I now appeal - to those in the know - what sort of
leeway all around this triumph must I leave to prevent burning and chafing
of the cowl? Is 1/4" enough - 5/16"? - 3/8"?
        I guess the engine can wriggle all around the clock but suspect it
prefers to nod in answer to my landings and their excuses - rough turf
predominantly. Your experiences and suggestions heartily welcomed.
Happy landings,
Ferg
Wiring wiring
PS: I prefer a reply here rather than on the owners' web as it refuses my
sign-in about 50% of the tries.