Re: Europa-List: Re: Woodcomp scimitar blades

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Woodcomp scimitar blades
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 18:51:58

We measured our prop/ clearances today and it dosent make good reading.

Prop diameter 1575 mm (62") - standard ground adjustable Warp Drive tapered
blades.

Clearance from ground in level configuration (using door sills as
reference) - 185 mm (230 is the minimum for VLA approval.
Clearance from ground tailwheel on ground  - 285 mm

As Andy Draper said, the PFA wont approve any propeller on a Classic Mono in
excess of 62" unless it can pass the VLA test - and it clearly can't. This
is in line with what Andy told me on Friday.

As to how William managed to get his prop past the PFA is a mystery.
According to them it was a 63" dia blade and therefore shouldnt have been
approved (as his was a Classic Mono also) . And if Conrad Beale is correct
about the sizing it is more likely to be 65".

It might be worth asking the PFA if they would accept an installation on the
basis that they had approved one previously but I suspect the answer will be
no.

The next question is whether or not they will approve and Airmaster on the
Classic - I know they are OK on the XS.