RE: Europa-List: Re : Tire question - cannot fly before informat

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re : Tire question - cannot fly before informat
From: Tim Houlihan <houlihan@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 18:50:31

Hi Jos

You can blame me, at least in part, for the Golf cart tyre supplied in the
early kits.
Many years ago I happened to be at Kirkbymoorside when Ivan was trying to
contain escalating costs during development of the first series of kits. He
was looking into the use of alternative tyres he asked me If thought
customers would find the golf cart tyres acceptable as they were
significantly less expensive than true aircraft tyres. I was going through
one of my phases of thinking that most aircraft parts had a large element of
added cost over exactly equivalent commercial parts. So I said that if they
were Ok for size ,loading, speed etc then I would by OK with the alternative
tyre.
I note your comments about the Europa being a well tested product is
completely correct but bear in mind that since the take over by EMIL some
years ago virtually all development was stopped  and since then all the
experience that has been gained has been by owner builders and flyers like
you and John.

The Europa is in many ways an "Experimental" aircraft and development is
necessary or it will not evolve as it should and could just fade away. So
please do not stick to the view that the design is perfect and if it's not
in the build manual it's wrong.

Best regards

Tim