Europa-List: Jabiropa cooling

Subject: Europa-List: Jabiropa cooling
From: TELEDYNMCS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 09:32:47
In a message dated 9/27/2007 2:59:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
europa-list@matronics.com writes:

I'm  wondering if a concentric lip projecting forward of the inlet...say
maybe  as much as an inch (?)...could act in such a way as to divert
that  vertically rising air around the inlet, reducing pressure in front
of the  inlet, and increasing flow into your duct...? (I'm aware that
you've  already tweaked the cowling geometry around the  inlets.)

Hey Fred,

I tried using a thin mylar strip inside the intake hole to achieve  exactly
what you mention and it had no effect. If anything it made it  worse.

I think what is happening is a pressure wave is setting up in front of the
hole. It's caused by the spherical shape of the cowl intake and it's not at
all dissimilar to what happens when a smooth sphere is moved through a fluid.

Turbulating the flow on the edge of the sphere and the intake, much like
dimples  on a golf ball, zigzag tape or vortex generators, should significantly

alter the  airflow in a positive direction.

I've thought about dimpling the round parts of both intake  areas like a golf
ball in lieu of the zigzag tape. That would make for an  "interesting" look,
wouldn't it? It's tough to get the zigzag tape to lay  flat in a curve like
that. I might wind up making the zigzag turbulator out  of paint. I think I can

make a mold of sorts out of several layers of masking  tape, then cut a ring
out with pinking shears, then shoot over it. The result  should be the same
zigzag pattern, only made from paint. We've done this sort of  thing before on

gliders, but never in a circle.

The real puzzle is why the right side doesn't exhibit the same flow
characteristics as the left. The right side sucks the string in with no
turbulation,

while the left side rejects the string on the outboard half of the  intake
ring unless the flow is turbulated as the air approaches the intake  hole. I've

placed the fan in such a way as to simulate the flow on the right  side, but on

the left, i.e., fan blade rising relative to the hole, as  opposed to
falling, and it made no difference. Granted, this is considerably  lower flow
than

with the engine running at flight velocities, but I think the  simulation should

be valid. I would think the pressure wave would only be  stronger at higher
velocities.  The flow behind the intakes above the top  cowl, along the sides
of the cowl, and down the front of the cowl is very  laminar, in fact a lot
more laminar than I expected. The only place I've seen  the flow break is as it

gets to the junction of the windshield. I'm going  to tuft that area in front
of the windshield on the top  cowl prior to the next flight so I can see what
is going on there, too.  There might be an advantage to be gained by a few well

placed vortex generators  in that area.

Regards,

John Lawton
Whitwell, TN (TN89)