Europa-List: Re: Wing Closing

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Wing Closing
From: Rowland & Wilma Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 13:04:31

>couldn't reply on the list as I am not at home

>As I recall, my wing tops needed some trimming but more importantly
>I wish I had known about Nevilles advice on how to achieve a perfect
>bond with minimum weight ;
>
>Have a trial fit with parcel tape stopping the flox mixture ( fairly
>stiff) sticking to the top surface. Then, when it has cured ,remove
>the top, tidy up the fillet of flox mix over the ribs then stick the
>top on for good with a thin layer of relatively runny  flox-redux
>over the now-perfect fit of  cured flox mix filling the gap between
>the ribs and the top skin.
>
>Hope that version of Nevilles advice is clear (and accurate!)- one
>other thing I would do if bonding on the top skin again is to use
>clecos rather than weight it down - I ended up with a slight lip
>needing filling despite using a lot of weight over the square
>section tubing recommended in the manual.

>It would be worth having a search to see if what Neville wrote
>originally is around as he also had some good advice about dealing
>with the mass balance weight boxes and trailing edge which I did
>follow, but rather late in the process making it more difficult than
>it need have been - give me a call If I can be of any help.

Bill - thanks very much for your advice. I recall now that my
inspector also suggested putting in temporary self-tapping screws or
some such to hold it together rather than the weights, before we got
on to the upside-down suggestion. I'll check the archives again for
Neville's original posting.

regards

Rowland