Europa-List: Dynon AOA homemade 1 of 3

Subject: Europa-List: Dynon AOA homemade 1 of 3
From: rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 14:50:21

Figured this may be of interest, it is a paste from Aeroelectric
Newsgroup.

Will try and attach pics in 2 more.

Ron Parigoris

Date:  Monday, September 17 2007 11:51 pm
From:  Tim Shankland <tshankland@sbcglobal.net>
Subject:  Avionics-List: AOA for your Dynon
Full Headers:  Display Headers
Attachments:  Part 1 noname (TEXT/PLAIN 7bit 1207 bytes) Hide
Part 2 101_1466small.jpg (IMAGE/JPEG base64 338548 bytes) View
Part 3 101_1467small.jpg (IMAGE/JPEG base64 444246 bytes) View

For all of you who have or are thinking of buying the Dynon and think
you would like to be able to use the angle of  attack indicator it
doesn't have to cost another $200. I bought my Dynon for the attitude
display and everything else was gravy. It wasn't until after I was
flying with it I even realized that it have the AOA option. Being a
builder oh and cheap too, I though $200 was a lot to pay so I looked
into Dynon's and other AOA devices. Well anyway I made my own probe,
cost nothing time about an hour or so and I can report it works great.
Attached are a couple of pictures of the installation. The trick to ease
of fabrication is that I used copper tubing, easier to solder together.
The pitot tube is at a right angle to the support tube and the
additional tube is angled 45 degrees down. To hold it I made a slot in
the circular piece of 1/8 inch aluminum, I used my mill but it can be
done with a drill and careful file work.. Mine as a snug fit to which I
added epoxy. By the way don't start on how that copper is going to
corrode with the aluminum I keep my plane inside and dry and I haven't
seen any at other interfaces in the past year.

Tim Shankland