RE: Europa-List: Play in tailplane drive - Loctite

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Play in tailplane drive - Loctite
From: Nigel Graham <nigelgraham@btclick.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 10:37:56

Bob,

If I may make the case for the defence .........

Once upon a time in a life far, far away ......I worked for a company
developing and manufacturing anaerobic adhesives. (No ...it wasn't Loctite)
Part of my job entailed setting up an running the lab tests to quantify the
shear and peel strengths of the various formulations under differing
assembly (best case, worst case and typical) cleanliness conditions.
Even though I knew how the adhesive worked, it never ceased to amaze me how
strong this stuff was.
Some test pieces (typically a "ring and pin" for shear testing) would fail
before the adhesive.

One can use many adjectives to describe these adhesives, but "Mickey Mouse"
would be THE most inappropriate.
I CAN imagine the PFA sanctioning their use. Anaerobic adhesives (Loctite is
just one) are a near-perfect engineering solution to our very real
engineering problem.
They tick all the boxes.
They are low cost, simple to administer, lightweight, strong, chemically
resistant and (with the use of suitably masked heat) easy to dis-assemble.
Most importantly for us, there is no requirement for the entire surface area
of the two mating components be completely covered or even completely
de-greased. The surface area of the TP4 is so great, that an anaerobic will
work even if the adhesive does not wick over the entire surface.
Remember that this is being used in addition to (not in place of) the
standard drive pins. The adhesive's only function is to prevent relative
movement - the pins still take the load.

Regards

Nigel (the other one) Graham