Europa-List: The Factory Fuel Sight Gauge

Subject: Europa-List: The Factory Fuel Sight Gauge
From: Paul McAllister <paul.mcallister@qia.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 18:21:57

Hi all,

Over the years I have been subscribing to the forum one of the topics that
comes up pretty regularly is the subject of sight tubes.

On all of my reading it seemed like they we troublesome systems so I
ultimately left mine off and constructed the system designed by Tony K. This
system has a 0 ~ 1" pressure transducer in the lowest point in the fuel
system and measures the weight of fuel in the tank.  By using your laptop it
is possible to calibrate the 10 segment LED bar display to show 1.8 gallons
per segment, thus having a perfectly linear display, despite the shape of
the tank.  The advantage of this system is that no tank penetration is
required, and unlike capacitance gauges is reads correctly for Mogas or
100LL, and best of all its linear.

Mine has been in service for 3.5 years now and so far has been trouble free.
The downside of this is that Tony does not have a printed circuit board
layout available, so you need to have some ability to construct electronic
circuits on a patch board.

See http://www.kaon.co.nz/europa/fuelgaugev3.pdf

Paul