Europa-List: Tailplane torque tube installation

Subject: Europa-List: Tailplane torque tube installation
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 12:13:56

I am at the happy stage of preparing to tap home the four drive pins,
attach the washers and cotter pins, and call it good; my goal is to
ensure (or raise the level of probability) that no slop EVER develops
between TP9, the two TP12's, and TP4. The question facing me is whether
or not I should loctite these components together.

I've read the posts of those who have ventured into the tailcone to
deal w/ such slop (or "play") with profound admiration; if I'm ever in
the company of a Europaphile who's done this successfully, everyone
present will enjoy a round of drinks on me.

Since I am installing the 3/8" pins, my sense is that preventing wear
---From occurring is the key...hence the notion that loctiting now is
better (and easier) than doing so later. My sense also is that if for
some reason in the future I find the need to remove the torque tube,
warming up the loctite so it will release will be the least of my
problems. Having taken the torque tube to a machine shop to have the
1/4" holes enlarged for the 3/8" pins, I now have a good interference
fit with no play whatsoever.

It appears to me that the best way to apply loctite in this situation
would be to rotate TP9 & TP12 on TP4 away from the holes, dispense the
loctite in the holes of TP9 & TP12 onto the surface of TP4, and then
realign the holes, drive the pins, and "Bob's your uncle".

Mentally, I've run this thru my "min/max regret analysis" and concluded
that this is the thing to do. If anyone thinks this is unwise, please
let me know before I do something stupid!  And, if you'd known about
the wear issues of these components when you were at this stage, would
you have used loctite?

Thanks for all responses,

Fred
A194