Re: Europa-List: Down for the count - fuel tank leak

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Down for the count - fuel tank leak
From: Bill and Sue <bill.sue@orcon.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 19:33:08
Steve,

I had to replace my tank after an incident with a cow!

It was not as nearly as bad as I thought it would be. ( The repair, not
hitting the cow!)

I removed the tank by cutting the top off the cockpit module about 20mm
below the top edge. The tank was stuck hard to the fibreglass straps
that hold it in place so I just cut it to pieces in place and took it
out bit by bit, this was a bit tedious but did not present any problems.
I prepared the new tank ready so that when I put it in it would be a one
time job only with no in and out trials.
To put the tank in I had to spread the fuselage enough for it to slip in
on to the original support lay-ups and check that it was in the correct
position. When the tank looked to be positioned correctly and not
fouling any controls I then lifted it as high as possible and managed to
get a redux - flox mix on to the brackets sufficient to hold the tank in
place. The top of the cockpit module was replaced using the normal
glass splicing techniques.
I also increased the width of the spacers that prevent the tank from
expanding forward. I was concerned that the amount it moved when full of
fuel could cause cracking.

This all happened 500 hrs ago and it has never shown any defect.

Rgds
Mono XS
914 Airmaster

Bill Sisley