RE: Europa-List: Anyone have carb ice with intercooled 914?

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Anyone have carb ice with intercooled 914?
From: R.C.Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 07:33:21

Hi! Ron
My current assessment is that it is unlikely. I believe the uplift of
the ingoing air temperature is quite high without an intercooler from
info. provided by others. I'm expecting in the region of a drop of 20
deg summer and 25 deg. winter
But from the original figures there's still lots of temperature put in
the air by the turbo.
However since it's the venturi effect and humidity which causes the
icing on the carb throat until mine flies in the next two weeks I won't
be sure.
It is a very relevant consideration, a friend pranged on Saturday, he
had been thermaling ,engine off (not a Europa) re-started to land and
decended maintaining 200deg on his cylinder heads when he needed the
throttle to clear power lines to land the engine quit. Finished up in a
sweet corn/maize field totalled but both walked away. That's in the UK
with present humidity levels ! So much attention needs applying when
doing mods 73 and 74.
Regards
Bob H  G-PTAG