Re: Europa-List: Anyone have carb ice with intercooled 914?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Anyone have carb ice with intercooled 914?
From: jim Brown <acrojim@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 21:19:38

Ron

We have been running the 914 with an intercooler approx 600 hrs here in
Florida. We have not had any problems with carb ice.

I do have a few observations about the subject.

In normal cruise settings I use 33"MP and 5300 RPM. There is enough heat
going into the airbox at this setting from the turbo, that there has been no
problem with carb ice. However I can see that if one were to spend time in
the pattern at low throttle settings below 28 or 29" of MP carb ice could be
a possibility.

I also can see that things will be different if one has a fixed pitch prop
installed. I would think that since the MP would be tied  to the RPM , in
pattern work a very good possibility that carb ice could happen.

Sorry for the ramblings...but your question got me to thinking about how
carb ice could happen in the 914.

Jim Brown