Re: Europa-List: Europa colours /The facts

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa colours /The facts
From: Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 15:50:27
MessageAll

who are interested about "colour & temp" topic:

couple of days ago I promised to come back after
finding some real scientific facts instead of "I feel so
knowledge"  and here we are:

I have today interviewed two (2) experts, one after one,
just to be sure:

1) Professor Timo Kalema, Energy and Process Technique,
Tampere University of Technology, Tampere Finland

2) Professor Reijo Karvinen, Energy and Process Technique,
Tampere University of Technology, Tampere Finland

http://www.tut.fi/public/

I strictly point both of these gentlemen represents the highest thermal
knowledge:

They BOTH stated as follows:

- direct from the sun the surfaces (Europa upper parts) get SOLAR
RADIATION
- the wave lenght is about 1 um
- the colour of the surface is essential because of the thermal
absorbtion
- Europas should be painted white or at least light coloured
- that is even more important what nearer equator you are

- from the ground the surfaces (down side parts) get  only  THERMAL
RADIATION
- the wave lenght is about 10-100 um (depending the ground material)
- the colour of the (plane dn side=B4 s) surface is nothing to do w
absobtion of that radiation

- easier observation ratio method:
" go to the shadow and have a white shirt or black shirt on and you
still feel same temperature"

I make the point even clearer: two Europas, one has white coloured down
side wings
and other one has black coloured down side wings. Both has light
coloured upper sides.
Both are standing on the hot black asphalt side by side. If measured the
temperature from
the down side surface, it will be exactly same. That is proved and a
fact  - I am sorry !!!
Colour is important only when DIRECT sun solar radiation, and nothing to
do with thermal radiation.

For me personally it is interesting because half of my wings=B4 down
sides are light and
half of them are dark. You can be sure I am a happy man today - right
choosing makes
always good for builder - especially aviation safety questions.

Please notice couple of important things:

1) I have dark colour only underside, not sides or upper side (except
letters, that=B4s bad).

2) I do not recommend anybody to paint their Europa uppersides or even
sides
anything but white or very light (because of solar radiation). Otherwise
be careful.

3) If you like to paint ONLY underside dark, you can do it where ever
you live and fly,
even in the equator (please do not fly much uppside down!).

4) where ever you live and keep your plane out, be careful when on the
asphalt
because or thermal radiation (nothing to do w plane=B4s colour, white or
black). If a hot
day, move it away to the hangar or at least to the grass surface. That
is good
because heat energy makes water in plants to steam and so it is cooler.

5) If you paint it only white, you can forget this topic but please
notice point 4!

Painting only white is easier to paint and maintain and also cheeper to
paint
and maintain but so boring. If it=B4s look means nothing, please paint
white.
Otherwise you have to think  and use your own brains and that is very
hard.

Look those Chinese /North Korean girls; all have or used to have
similar green uniform. Sexy?

Karel; this is not only for you but I have done my best to provoke some
of you.

Please do not take personally - your golden strips are extremely
beautiful
(those professors told me also some facts about high price heat
reflecting
dark metallic colours, I am sure your strips are safe and you can fly
peace
in your heart, also in a sunny day).

I hardly can wait comments.

Me personally - will not continue this topic any more. I was right as
usually
and that is enough for me. What is the most important thing - It is not
necessary to repaint my plane. If I would paint it again, I did like to
do same.

Tim: N914XS suffered case 4 - hot asphalt - not a colour relative
problem.

Joyce: you wrote "The heat radiating from the ground to the underside of
the
plane was enough to soften it, so that heel pressure when we got back in
distorted the skins!
        It is worth taking the skin colour and heating possibilities
seriously!               Regards, David Joyce G-XSDJ"

Now you can be sure: your Europa=B4s down side colour had nothing to do
with
your problems in Morocco. White colour - same situation. The fact is:
you kept
your plane in too hot conditions. Do not fly to hot hell by Europa and
if you do so,
keep it in hangar or in good shadow!

Gentlemen, you can be sure I will take my head of from hot ass now.
And continue to fly my Europa with "dark underside colour"!

This colour topic was a good example of "trust only yourself and your
senses".

And some individuals out there - who have kindly supported me - just
thanks.

Raimo
====
Raimo M W Toivio

OH-XRT Europa XS Mono #417, The Experimental of The Year (w DARK
UNDERSIDE)
OH-CVK C172 Skyhawk, totally restored 2006-2007
OH-BLL Beechcraft C45, w radial engines (grounded)

37500  Lempaala
Finland
tel + 358 3 3753 777
fax + 358 3 3753 100